The One and Only Ivan Continues …

We have got to a CRUCIAL part of the novel where Ivan has promised Ruby he will get her to a zoo. Will he succeed?? Here is a clip of the real Ivan that this novel was based on:

Why do you think Ivan has made such a big commitment to Ruby?

What aspect of Ivan’s personality is revealed by this promise?

Have you ever made a promise that was hard to keep? How did you go?

23 thoughts on “The One and Only Ivan Continues …

1. Hello 5/6 MM,
    I will be answering question 1.
    I think Ivan has made such a big commitment to Ruby because he promised Stella to take good care. I also have a feeling that Ivan finally has someone to protect so he’s trying his best to pull this protecting thing off. Ivan wants the best for Ruby.
    Lilli

2. Question 1.
    I think Ivan has made this big commitment to Ruby because she is sad and lonely. With the recent death of her Aunt Stella Ivan is trying to keep some belief in Ruby, that one day she will leave the Exit 8 Big Top Mall, and have a better life, just like he promised Stella before she died. I also think Ivan has made this promise to Ruby because he hasn’t had anyone to protect in 9,876 days, and when you are a silver back Gorilla, protecting your family from danger comes first, as Ivan says in the blurb of the book.

3. Hi 5/6 MM,
    I am answering question two.
    I think Ivan’s personality shows when he makes the promise to Ruby that he has become really protective toward Ruby, considering all his life he’s had no one to protect.

4. Question 1:
    I think that Ivan is making this big commitment because he made a promise to Stella that he would look after her. I also think that he is making this big commitment because he doesn’t want Ruby to end up stuck at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall for days on end like him.
    Hannah G

5. Hi Mary,
    Here is my answer for question 2:
    I think that Ivan’s promise to Ruby shows that he is a good friend and wants the best for Ruby.
    Ivan does not want Ruby to end up like Stella, living in captivity for the rest of her life.
    This shows that Ivan cares a lot about Ruby.
    This promise also shows that Ivan is very determined and that he beieves in his abilities, especially when he needs to help others who need it.
    It proves to the humans that come to watch him everyday at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall that he is not the raging gorilla that appears on the billboard, but deep down he is a loving, caring animal and feels that Ruby doesn’t deserve a horrible life.
    Bianca.

6. Dear 5/6 MandM,

Question 1:
    I think Ivan is protecting Ruby because he doesn’t want her to turn out like Stella. I think that he wants Ruby to be free and not die in there. He wants her to live her life free in the wild where she doesn’t have to be chained up and forced to do a show nearly every night of her life.

From Kikki/Jessica

7. Hi 5/6 M&M

Question 1.
    I think Ivan has made such a big commitment towards Ruby becasue he made a promise to his friend Stella. Ivan feels like Ruby is his responsibility and he will honour his frienship with Stella by helping Ruby escape so she can be free and have a better life.
    Lachlan

8. Hi Mary,
    I am answering question 1

I think Ivan has made a huge commitment to Ruby because
    he doesn’t want her to be tormented and warn down the way Stella was.
    The way I see it is that Ivan wants Ruby to live a happy life, not a sad depressing life
    being locked away forever.

Zac

9. Hi Mary,
    I will be answering question 1

I think Ivan has made a bog commitment to Ruby because he doesn’t want to see ruby die like Stella, he wants to keep Stella’s promise and he wants to protect her as if he was protecting his family in the jungle.

Ben L

10. Dear Mary
    I am writing to answer question 1. I think Ivan has made such a big promise to Ruby because Ivan has been at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall for years with Stella. But now that Stella has died Ivan does not want Ruby to end up the just like her. Rotting in a dumpster.
    From Christian.

11. Hi Mary
    this is my answer to question 1
    I think Ivan has committed to look after Ruby so that is why
    he is feeling that he has to look after her. And especially when Ivan and Ruby
    get transported to the zoo he cant see Ruby and that’s why he feels a bit sad
    because he cant look after Ruby.
    Lachie G

12. Hi Mary,
    I think that Ivan is a really kind and loving Gorilla by making that hard promise to Ruby. It shows that he is a really generous animal and he wants Ruby to grow up big and strong. Ivan definitely doesn’t want Ruby to end up like Stella, so it seems like he cares more about Ruby’s life then his by making a big promise.
    Georgia

13. Hi Mary,
    I will be answering question 2. I think that an aspect of Ivan’s personality that’s is revealed in his promise is sympathy. If Ivan didn’t care about Ruby, he wouldn’t have bothered to put all his time and effort into trying to get her into a zoo. I also believe that Ivan strongly felt that it would be unfair for another young animal to be pulled away from their family and be held in captivity for a lifetime, like Ivan had been. Ivan clearly has a strong relationship with Ruby and wants the best for her, as she is only an innocent young elephant that doesn’t deserve to live like that.
    Grace

14. Hi Mary and Melissa,
    I think Ivan has made such a big commitment to Ruby because he doesn’t want Ruby to die in captivity like Stella did. He wants her to live a happy, free life with other elephants. Ivan is a bit like a Father to Ruby, protective, loving and is always by her side to help her when things go wrong.

15. Hey everyone!
    I chose the question
    I think Ivan has made such a big commitment to ruby is because in the first place he promised Stella he would protect her, as it says in the text. Second I think he doesn’t want to see her suffer like Stella, He is her guide, he helps her in many ways. In conclusion I think he wants her to taste freedom and not be isolated from her own kind like he was.

16. Hi 5/6 M and M,

I chose the question:

Why do you think Ivan has made a big commitment to Ruby?
    Here is my answer:
    I think that Ivan has made a big commitment to Ruby because he is fond of her; he loves her and cares for her. And his only dream is for Ruby to not turn out like Stella; first being born in a luscious free-range and beautiful forest. Then being taken away from your beloved family and kidnaped then brought to an animal prison. (As Ivan has experienced.). Ivan shows this when Stella dies and I think he thinks that Ruby is lonely without Stella and then he knows that if he doesn’t do something she too will be like Stella.

Bess

17. Hi Mary

I’ll be answering question 1

I think that Ivan made such a big a commitment because I think he feels a long and he needs someone to talk to and tells them how they feel and I think he wants to protect Ruby so he can protect not like Tag.

bye Mary

18. Hi 5/6 M and M

I think I will be answering question one. Why do you think Ivan has made such a big commitment to Ruby?
    I think Ivan made this commitment to Ruby because he knows what it’s like to be stuck in a cage forever and not be free. I also think he feels that he owes it to Stella to make sure Ruby doesn’t end up like her stuck at Exit 8 Big Top Mall. Ivan I think would feel almost guilty if he didn’t keep that promise to Ruby as well as all that I think he loves her and feel that, that is the person he has to protect.

Hannah

19. Hi 5/6 MM

I’m answering question 1:

I think Ivan made such a big commitment to Ruby because he didnt want to let Stella down.He didnt want Ruby to end up like Stella and die miserably. He wanted to protect someone like a silver back would in the jungle.Ivan wanted Ruby to have a good life not a boring painful life, he didnt want her life to be like Stella’s.

From Eden

20. Hi 5/6MM,

I am answering question one:

One of the hardest promises that I have made was in September last year where I hat to keep a secret and not tell anyone in my family that my cousins in England are coming down in October this year. I still have not told anyone in my family this but I have come close to it just slipping out of my mouth but I still have had the inspiration of what my cousin said to and I can’t break this promise

Benji

21. Hi Mary

I will be answering question 1:

I think Ivan made such a big commitment to Ruby because he did not want Ruby to live a life like he did or stay chained to the floor all the time. All animals have a right to be free. I think Ivan thought that it would be great if Ruby did not end up like Stella having to preform everyday of here life.

22. Why do you think Ivan has made such a big commitment to Ruby?

I think Ivan make such a big commitment to ruby because he didnt want to let steller down after her dying wish was that ruby made it out of the big top mall.

I think his fatherly and caring personality was shown by him making that promise to Stella because it would be completely impossible for a normal gorilla to complete such amazing things as Ivan did

No i’ve never made a promise that was hard to keep just the usual like: yes mom i promise ill get of the computer, yes mom i promise ill clean my room, and also yes mom i promise ill feed the: chooks,fish,dog, and rabbits.
    thank you for reading my comment
    from Ethan

23. Hi 5/6 M and M,
    The one and only Ivan was such a dramatic book.
    If I had have missed one part of this book I would have poured my soul into a cup
    I would never miss a part. When we got into the crucial part of the book
    my heart was beating so fast I could barely breathe it was just so exciting.
    We would read the book and we would start to finish up and our class would go
    “more, more come on more”. Once we finished the book I was so sad because it was
    such an amazing book I didn’t want it to finish.
    Lilli